Earlier this year, over a family gathering in San Jose, I learned that I supposedly had an ancestor who was Jewish. Great-great-grandfather to be exact mentioned by my mother’s cousin in passing to me. I asked why this was not mentioned earlier, and the response was it was not that important.
I have always been fascinated by different cultures, history, and diversity so it wasn’t long before I became completely absorbed, curious, and obsessed in learning the following 3 things:
- Genealogy and Family History – confirming, validating, and researching my ‘Jewishness’ through traditional family history research and DNA testing
- Jewish Culture and History (and how it relates to China) – going to many Jewish events, meeting Jewish people, and reading about Jewish history and culture in and outside of China
- International Relations – furthering cultural and historical understanding between two groups without politics nor religion.
While I understand my story is still a hypothesis awaiting confirmation; records were not kept to today’s standards and difficult to trace in some areas, my curiosity has not waned but only strengthened over time. I have a soft spot for Jewish (and Japanese) people! Since then I have created three items to help further my learning and goals.
- Blog – allofasuddenpartJew (29 posts in ~3-5 months)
- Facebook – page under the same title (272 Fans in ~ 3 months)
- Twitter – account under the same title (153 Followers in ~ 3 months)
With a recent move to Hong Kong, quitting a job I wasn’t passionate about, and starting grad school, I hope to make 2012 great! I want to touch more Jewish/Chinese fans, non-Jewish/Chinese fans, and spread more cultural understanding and diversity awareness.
**Any mention of Jews and Chinese in this blog solely refers to the cultural and historical aspects of both groups. I am apolitical and agnostic and do not plan to be political nor religious in the future.**